Stories of Hope and Recovery

You just can’t understand how good it felt. I was on top of the world; the music just flowed through me.
It was such an incredible high! After days on end of no sleep I used the pills to settle down.
I got so low I didn’t think I’d ever get up. I was lucky my friends found me when they did – they have stuck by me and helped me through.
I’m making new music now!
I remember the day and how it all fell apart.
The school called because she hadn’t picked up our daughter for the third time in two weeks.
We had been walking on eggshells to avoid angry outbursts.
I’d heard all the excuses and found the empty pill bottles, but I didn’t know what to do.
The kicker came while I was away and the police officers showed up at our home to discuss her “prescription shopping”.

Our house of cards came down, but it’s being rebuilt – sturdier this time, with more realistic expectations for all of us.
It’s not been easy, but we’re making it as a family.
My family loves me. I knew they did and I felt so guilty that their love for me wasn’t enough.
After my husband died, it was like I was in a hole with more dirt constantly being shoveled on top of me blocking out the sun.
The alcohol just seemed to give the medication a boost and let me sleep. I didn’t have to think when I slept.
My family insisted I go to a counselor not  just my doctor.
I resisted at first, but I am so glad I went.
I never thought I could feel content again, and satisfied with my life.


Not so long ago, you would hear us say such things as: “We don’t know what happened” or “We never raised her that way.” Our daughter was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when she was seventeen – what an emotional roller coaster with the highs and the lows.

Soon she became dependent on various drugs. It’s been three years now since she gave birth to our grandchild, high, even up to delivery -- we won’t even go into the legal issues that came about. Although consumed with concern for her welfare, our greatest concern and focus became our grandson’s welfare.

Bright and quite intelligent, he goes all the time, not like other kids – all the time - and he’s been dismissed from two (2) daycares. What a whirlwind! We knew she needed help, our grandson needed help, and, quite honestly, we were exhausted and needed help. After a little networking, with friends who were involved with a local advocacy group, we found hope and resources. We now understand that we’re dealing with a brain disease and that no one is at fault.

Our family now focuses on treatment and things are improving.


Mental health and substance abuse issues run in my family. They have for many generations. We understand and recognize the fact and try to support each other in a positive way. It’s hard sometimes; especially when I learned that I’m not immune.

I got help and I successfully worked the programs. Unfortunately, last year they changed our insurance carrier, I had to switch my medications, and they added a very high deductible. There were so many changes and financial hardships with the new coverage. I began to struggle with managing my disorders. How are you supposed to stay well when they do these things? I was so glad that I had discovered coping mechanisms through my treatment program and that I had developed a strong network to rely upon during such times as this.
Although tempted, I was able to maintain my sobriety and remain clean and sober.